A Walking Tour: Singapore (5th Edition)
- About the Author
With its cutting-edge skyscrapers standing cheek to cheek with traditional Chinese shophouses, picturesque mosques, and neoclassical edifices of its colonial past, Singapore is a traveller's dream, a richly stimulating blend of East and West, old and new. What's more, Singapore's compact layout makes it simply ideal for exploring on foot. Let author Gregory Byrne Bracken show you the best walking routes through the city via his vivid drawings of Singapore's myriad sights – from its iconic landmarks to hidden gems – accompanied by insightful commentary and practical information for the visitor. This revised and updated fifth edition of A Walking Tour Singapore features new illustrations and updated itineraries designed to lead you to the very heart of this complex and ever-changing city.
- 10 fascinating walks through Singapore's various districts, including the Singapore River, Chinatown and Orchard Road
- Up-to-date coverage of the latest attractions, including the spectacular waterfront developments around Marina Bay
- Historical contexts, cultural trivia, architectural highlights
- Over 100 hand-drawn illustrations of the city's greatest sights
- Handy street maps
- Recommendations for not-to-be-missed landmarks, night walks, best views, food and drink, and places to shop
"User-friendly, information-rich, with exquisite hand-drawn illustrations... All that one requires to explore the streets of Singapore."
—Sharon Siddique, co-founder of the Singapore Heritage Society
Dr Gregory Byrne Bracken loves to walk, which he does all across the world. Apart from travelling, he has also lived and worked in London, Paris, Berlin, Bangkok and Singapore. Now based in the Netherlands, where he is an assistant professor of architecture at the Technical University of Delft, Gregory is a well-respected expert on the cities of East and Southeast Asia.
Cover Type: Paperback
Page Count: 160
Year Published: 2016