Being Baba: Selected Articles from The Peranakan Magazine
The Peranakan Association Singapore
Being Baba presents selected articles on Peranakan culture through the eyes of contributors to the The Peranakan magazine over its twenty-year history. Specially selected articles capture the essence of Peranakan culture — from its history, traditions, material culture and lifestyle to its rich cuisine, language and even theatre.
Being Baba is richly illustrated with full-colour photographs and is the definitive compilation of all things Peranakan.
- Explains the origins of customs and traditions
- Provides insights into their beautiful artefacts and delicious cuisine
- Collates articles from a rich archive that spans over twenty years
- Features writers who are experts in their own specialised areas
- Highlights the significant contributions of the Peranakans.
The Peranakan is the official publication of The Peranakan Association Singapore (TPAS) which represents Peranakans or local-born Chinese also known as the Babas. They settled down in Southeast Asia many generations ago and assimilated the local customs and practices to create a unique culture of their own.